Sunday, June 8, 2014

Kirby Triple Deluxe review

It's only been about 2 weeks and I have another Kirby game I'm reviewing! I got Triple Deluxe last week and finished it in just 2 days. I'm still playing through the aftergame. So how does this game stack up to Return to Dreamland, which is a game that I absolutely love? Well, let's see.

Graphics
I was quite surprised to see that this game kept the same relative framerate as Return to Dreamland seeing as Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D had the same graphics as its Wii counterpart with a slower framerate. This game taken great advantage of the 3DS' capabilities, including the 3D effect. The background parts of levels that you have to go to add some great depth to this game. The graphics are great!

Plot [spoilers!]
The plot is very simple. One day a giant beanstalk grows around Kirby's house and a bg-like creature named Taranza captures Dedede. Kirby goes through 6 worlds and finally catches up to them, only to have Dedede possessed and turned into Masked Dedede, which was a welcome comeback from Superstar Ultra. Queen Sectiona is then awakened and after an abosultely epic boss fight, Dreamland is saved. After beating the mains tory, which is actually really short, you unlock The Arena and Dedede Tour, which is similar to Metaknightmare Ultra but with Dedede and harder versions of all the bosses.
The plot is good. It feels a bit too short but the extra post-game content makes up for it.

Gameplay

This game takes the fun of Return to Dreamland and mixes it in with some sheer creativity! The level design is amazing. Not only are they well-made levels, but they can be insanely creative and can tend to creatively utilize the 3D effect and gyroscope of the 3DS such as part where you have to tilt a glass of water to make a flower grow. Most of the Return to Dreamland abilities are back in action, but along with a few older abilities like Wheel that were absent in RTD, there are 4 new copy abilities: Circus, Bell, Archer, and Beetle Kirby. They are all very fun to use. Kirby has a new ability, the Hypernova inhale, which allows kirby to inhale ridiculously large enemies and objects and it always feels great to swallow large amounts of enemies and objects. I can't really pick between this ability and the super abilities though in terms of which one I like better. The boss battles are great as always and again the 3D effect is very good use. There are 2 new minigames; Dedede's Drum Dash and Kirby Fighters. Kirby Fighters is a lot like Smash Bros. but with Kirby's abilities, and it's pretty fun. Drum Dash is nice, but I don't think it's something I'll be going back to very often. You also collect these keychains that are old sprites of Kirby characters. They're good to collect. The gameplay is awesome. It takes the fun of the previous game and makes it even better, which I thought was impossible.

Music
This game has some great music. I don't really have any particular favorite tracks in this game, but it does have some great remixes of old themes such as Masked Dedede's theme or The Arena's battle theme. Music is great!

Overall


Overall, Kirby Triple Deluxe is awesome. It is my new favorite Kirby game. It's everything Return to Dreamland was with more creative levels and great homage to older kirby games. I recommend this game to the same people I recommended Reutrn to Dreamland to and I also think you should buy this game at full price if possible. So yes, this is one of my favorite games of all time. Ignore the negative IGN review and get this game, it's a blast from start to finish. Here's to a good E3 this year for not only Nintendo but the other companies too. I hope to see Zelda U and more Smash characters! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to Mario Kart 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment